In the wake of the 2008 recession, States were offered $53 billion in “Stimulus” money if they would commit to “Four Assurances”. One of these included adopting what is now called Common Core (CCSI), a privately developed standard. According to sources noted, it comes to us without input from teachers and parents, and distances children from the good, the true and the beautiful. Missouri, one of the states using CCSI since 2009, already shows a decline in math and English language arts readiness (http://missourieducationwatchdog.com/). Daunting? Yes! But what can we do? First, consider examples in Sacred Scripture. We have seen how our plans unravel when God is not included. Second, consider the encouragements coming from Our Lady. Mary invites us to Pray. To receive the Eucharist. To go to confession. To read Scripture and to Fast. How beautiful!
1. St. Joseph Radio Presents, “Common Core Panel”, Catholic Home School Conference, 04/11/14. saintjosephradio.net.
2. Univ of Notre Dame’s Law Professor, plus 132 scholars’ letter to Catholic Bishops.
3. EWTN’s Barbara McGuigon & guest Mary Jo Anderson, Mar 29, ’14. www.ewtn.com.
4. Documentary on the Common Core: “Building the Machine”. commoncoremovie.com.
5. Summary of 10 major concerns. maryjoanderson.net.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download | Embed